Volvo Truck Center
spare part storage for vehicle products
Since the company’s storage space was no longer sufficient, it needed to organize its spare part logistics more efficiently to supply its extensive repair workshop and new car sales operation.
Benefits at a glance
- Same amount of goods on 5 % of the floor space giving space for more office places
- 100 % safe access by using “pick-by-light” operator prompting
- Increased picking accuracy up to 99.8 %
Volvo Truck Center Oslo is the main repair shop for Volvo trucks and buses in the Oslo area,Norway. They are located just outside Oslo. Their repair shop has 16 lines for serving their customers. Volvo’s support and maintenance packages are an important part of their business, as they offer the Volvo truck and bus owners best possible predictability and efficiency. Therefore, spare parts logistics is a major value driver in their operations. They also have a sales organization for new and old trucks in the same premises.
Volvo Norge As wanted to save space. They are experiencing a nice growth and needed more office space. All spare parts were stored in shelves in two levels on a mezzanine, altogether 630 sqm. The lower level was for small parts, and on the upper level it was partly shelves and open areas for bigger parts. The very small parts were stored in 190 sqm of drawers.
In a close cooperation with Kardex Remstar the stock was analyzed and the optimal solution was indentified. One Megamat RS 350 paternoster could contain all the smaller parts and for the bigger parts a Shuttle XP lift was chosen. The mezzanine was taken down and all the goods that
formally filled out 640 sqm, could now be stored in less than 17 sqm. The system is controlled by ProLager Professional which has a predefined interface towards Volvos GDS software (Global Dealer System).
Scope of delivery
- Megamat RS 350 (W x D x H: 3,475 X 1,671 X 6,810 mm) (with a total of 480 shelves giving 190 sqm storage space and 18 cubic metres storage volume)
- Storage capacity 1,740 bins, 7,700 locations only in the Megamat RS 350
- Kardex Shuttle XP 500 (W x D x H: 3,050 x 864 x 6,950 mm), (with 44 trays for max 265 kg and 10 trays for 460 kg giving 141 sqm storage space)
- TIC Matrix position indicator
- ProLager professional Software with interface to GDS (Volvo’s Global Dealer System)