batch and multi-user picking of small parts
In a newly built factory the supplier of complex visualization systems wanted to link production and intralogistics with one another more efficiently. In addition, space had to be created in a small parts storage system for approximately 4,700 different components and small prefabricated parts.
Benefits at a glance
- Greater efficiency due to batch picking combined with multi user picking (800 order lines per day)
- Better picking accuracy thanks to software from Kardex Remstar, an LED pointer, and a pick-to-light system
- Improved ergonomics and higher throughput rate due to the use of picking trolleys
- Short distances thanks to the „goods-to-person“ principle
Schölly Fiberoptic GmbH is a globally operating, family-run company based in Denzlingen (Baden-Württemberg/Germany). Since it was founded in 1973, the company has developed into a supplier of complex visualizing systems for medicine and industry. Schölly is the world market leader in the area of 3D endoscopy which assists surgeons in performing minimally invasive operations. The automotive electronics, and aviation sectors also rely on endoscopy equipment from Schölly. The Schölly Group employs more than 560 employees at 11 locations in eight countries throughout the world.
Dynamic business growth and the expansion of Schölly production facilities called for a new logistics solution. In the newly constructed works uilding in Denzlingen, the idea was to link production and intralogistics more efficiently. The new small parts storage zone had to provide space for around 4,700 different components, assembly groups, and small finished products.
The intralogistics operation in the new Schölly factory covers the following sections: incoming goods, putting/retrieval, packaging, and shipping. Taking care of putting and retrieval of goods are four Shuttle XP 250 storage lifts from Kardex Remstar, each with an access opening on two levels.
Power Pick Global (PPG), Kardex Remstar’s own warehouse management software, has been linked to the Schölly ERP software in both directions. PPG ensures the systematic storage of tiny parts (such as optical lenses). When retrieving goods in line with the FIFO principle, the individual orders are merged into so-called batches. A pick-to-light system is used for transferring the goods to picking trolleys. With multi user picking, which involves each member of staff being assigned a color, it is also possible for two employees to pick several orders at the same time. The serial numbers are registered by a bar code scanner during order picking and their validity is checked.
Scope of Delivery
- 4 Shuttle XP 250 (W x D x H: 3,050 x 610 x 11,850 mm)
- Pick-by-light with LED pointer
- 3 pick-to-light picking trolleys (W-LAN)
- Power Pick Global (software from Kardex Remstar) with charge, serial number, inventory module, and batch handling plus multi user picking
- Link to Microsoft Navision ERP system via table transfer