Warehouse & Distribution
High-speed order picking of cosmetics
Mary Kay Inc. is one of the leading companies for direct sales of makeup and skin care and Lesley Cosmetics is the authorized and exclusive distributor for Mary Kay Inc. in Finland, Norway and Sweden. The head office and distribution center is located in Mölndal, Sweden. With over 600 articles on stock in the warehouse, the company relies on a storage system from Kardex Remstar for picking accuracy and short delivery times.
Advantages at a glance
- ROI: 1 year
- 200-300 % faster picking times (up to 3,000 lines per day)
- Reduced picking errors (from 1.5 % to 0.87 %)
- Reduced picking space (from 120m2 to 6m2 and removal of 3 picking areas)
- Picking and inbound replenishment possible
in the same process
- Increased ergonomics for the employees
- Switch from 06.00-21.00 shifts to day shift only
Mary Kay Inc. was introduced by Lesley Cosmetics to the Nordic market in 1992. The company distributes makeup and skincare through their network of Independent Beauty Consultants. In 2003, Lesley Cosmetics launched their Nordic webshop which made it easier to order products both for consultants and their customers
The distribution center for Lesley Cosmetics in Mölndal has over 600 articles in the warehouse. The incoming orders usually consist of an average of 17 lines and are placed by Independent Beauty Consultants in order to fill up their stock and supply their customers. In order to handle the large amount of picking lines, the company needed to find an efficient solution that reduced delivery time and increased picking speed and accuracy. They were also looking to improve their routines by creating a better flow in the warehouse, with a more ergonomic workspace and rotation in the staffs work tasks.
Kardex Remstar recommended a Megamat RS 350 combined with the warehouse management software Power Pick Global, to offer a fast storage and retrieval solution. Thanks to the paternoster principle of the Megamat RS, the articles, which are stored on carriers, automatically take the shortest path to the access opening at all times. The LED rail position indicator increases the picking speed and reduces picking errors while the possibility to simultaneously pick and replenish the stock makes the process very effi cient. Thanks to the automation, 3,000 order lines can now easily be picked in a one day shift – increasing the picking time up to 300 %.
Scope of delivery
- Megamat RS 350 (W x D x H: 3,675 x 1,671 x 7,110 mm)
- Power Pick Global warehouse management software from Kardex Remstar
- Picking aid – Position indicator: LED rail
- Special customer specification – Tailored color: Pink